Need to know when to start shopping for your wedding dress? When to start stocking up on nude knickers? When to schedule your fittings? When to start flippin’ out? (Hint: never!) This is your Offbeat Bride wedding dress timeline guide. Here’s a run-down of all the necessary steps to acquiring your rad wedding outfit in a lower-stress way.
Disclaimer: This timeline definitely won’t apply to everyone’s timeline. If you’re buying off-the-rack, from a place like ModCloth, wearing pants or something other than a dress, or having your dress custom-made, your timeline could be very different. But if you’re planning a more traditional shopping route, whether at a dress boutique or otherwise, this will help you plan ahead.
12+ months before
* Start researching: look at different styles, fabrics, colors, fits, and check the weather to help gauge what you might need.
* Create a list of boutiques, stores, online stores, and custom dress shops to start shopping and making appointments as necessary.
* Find a pair of shoes that are the same height as the shoes you plan on wearing.
* Buy some nude bras and slips to take with you on fittings.
10-12 months before
- Be open-minded to various dress styles and silhouettes to see what looks good on you.
- Ask about any expected additional lead times, costs, and tailoring fees based on your choices.
- Ask about the refund and return policy.
- Attend dress fittings and book second appointments as needed.
8-10 months before
* Order your dress.
* Start searching for your accessories such as veils, belts, headpieces, jewelry, etc.
* Schedule fitting dates to have your dress tailored, if needed.
6 months before
- Select and order your wedding party outfits including accessories and shoes, if you’re choosing them.
4-5 months before
- Arrange to have your dress cleaned after the wedding, or ask someone close to do it for you if you’re leaving on your honeymoon right away.
- Order your accessories, especially any custom-made items like veils or headpieces that need extra lead time.
2-3 months before
* Start your dress fittings and tailoring — don’t forget your undergarments and shoes at the right height, and any accessories you plan to wear.
1-2 weeks before
- Pick up your dress and check it for any issues.
- Store it in a clean place.
The wedding day
- Forget any imperfections and rock that shit like you know you can!
Click here to download the wedding dress timeline printable checklist!
Getting all stressed up? Here’s how to chill: